5.08.2007

I Heart My Holga

I shot these photos in the past few weeks with my Holga, which is considered a toy medium format camera which'll set you back a whopping $25 or so. (The link at the bottom of the page has a photo of it... minus the rubber bands that *ahem* some people use to hold the back on.) I swear that I haven't had this much fun with a cheap, plastic, "Made in China" toy since I was, oh, seven years old. Each Holga has it's own personality (read: defects) thus their unique "quirks". Aside from the vignetting which is one of the normal beauties of the cheap, plastic joy that is a Holga (note the black in the corners of the shots), I'm noticing that mine tends to do a double exposure of sorts in the lower right corner. But enough of my enthusiastic blather (did I mention that I love playing with this thing?).

Below is a picture of the magnolia tree in our front yard (see my other blog for a photo of the tree in color and in the context of the front yard).



This is at a park down the street from our house.

For any camera/photo buffs who haven't been introduced to the Holga yet, take a few minutes to read the Holga link above... it's funny and it might just make you want to hop online and order one. If you do, happy shooting! Oh, and though most of the modifications are no longer necessary to make it photoworthy (the Chinese were actually paying attention to the online modification sites) some of the tips are handy to know.

12 comments:

thisisme said...

Must go shopping. I want me one of them! I love the shot of your magnolia tree - the flowers framed by the clouds that look like blown dandelion fluff.

The root detail in the shot from the park is pretty amazing too.

velvet said...

thisisme-

It's such a fun toy that I want another one! It's worth the effort of tracking down the film and a lab to process it. The enlargements from medium format can be rather stunning, too. (If you get a Holga, will you put some of your photos on your blog? I'd love to see them!)

Thanks for the compliments on the pics. I like that snap of the magnolia, too. As for the park shot, it makes me feel that some dark knight is about to come riding out of the woods. Hee hee.

Bernie said...

Those are amazing photos for a $25 camera. Proof that a good photographer can shoot good shots with any kind of camera.

velvet said...

bernie-

Well, gee, thank you for the compliment, though I'm presently writing off any good shots as luck until I can get an eye for what things are going to look like in the end. ;)

A lot of photography pros play with Holga cameras and they get really stunning, dreamlike images out of them. I've been searching out Holga photo galleries and have stumbled on some great images. Very inspiring!

Jocelyn said...

You so much don't suck.

I might even venture to say that you have a rare talent (the truest test of which is using any old fun equipment and still getting striking shots).

velvet said...

jocelyn-

Gee, thanks for the shot in the arm for my ego. That's right nice of you!

Of course, I'm going to have to tell you my biggest secret: if you want people to think that you're a good photographer, only show them the good photos. ;)

Erica Ann Putis said...

Wow - that is so cool. I want one of those because god know I can't afford a Nikon... :)

velvet said...

Erica-

Nikons'll can set you back a fair sum, for sure. At this price, I'm tempted to get another Holga. ;)

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Black and white has its own warmth and elegance.

Beautiful. And all that from a $25 camera, proving yet again that it's not really the equipment, it's the eye behind it.

velvet said...

heart-

I really love b&w for the timeless quality of the images. It really is true that the camera doesn't make the photo, but when it comes to a Holga, there's a fair amount of luck to it no matter who is shooting! LOL!

Tammie Jean said...

Wow, such great results from a cheap plastic camera! I'll have to read up on this Holga...

velvet said...

tammie jean-

A lot of pros love to shoot with these and take some really stunning shots which goes to show that it's not the cost and quality of the equipment, but how you use it.

The first link that I included has a pretty funny description of what a Holga is that I lauged out loud when I read it. Then again, I was pretty tired at the time, which might explain it. ;)